Friday, May 1, 2009

Concrete Countertops






In our utility room we decided to do concrete countertops. We thought it would pair nicely with the cork floor. Slab concrete countertops go for between $80-$100 sq. ft. but that's not what we were doing. The Finley's, our friends and neighbors from Hawaii who moved to WA at the same time as us did this in their kitchen and we thought it was fabulous (Okay, I thought it was fabulous, Ben probably has a more manly descriptor in mind).


The stuff is called Milestone (check out some really cool applications here). Basically you put down plywood, cover it with metal lathe, screw it down then start covering it with the mixture of portland cement, sand and acrylic. You build it up to the desired height then sand, put on a finish coat with the color of your choice (or no color), epoxy and you have an awesome countertop, hearth, floor, shower etc. We are also doing our fireplace hearth this way. We bought enough materials to do the fireplace, the laundry room countertops, possibly a dining room table with some to spare for a little over $300.

1 comment:

TOVAR said...

Amazing, like always. I hope this blog will stay around long enough for me to make references to it when I have a hankering to do some work around the house. I can only imagine how awesome it looks in real life.